Monday, January 5, 2009

Royally Jacked

Royally Jacked by Niki Burnham. Valerie has a good life, she isn't popular but she has good friends, is a good student and even has a possible boyfriend. She even thinks her family is pretty normal. Life is pretty good.... Until her mother announces to the family that she is a lesbian and is leaving Valerie's dad for her vegan girlfriend. And if it couldn't get worse, Valerie's dad who is the Chief of Protocol for the President of the United States has gotten a new job with the royal family of a small European country with a name that is very hard to pronounce. Valerie is given the choice to stay with her mom and her new girlfriend or go with her dad. She decides to move with her dad to the place she has only heard of once before in Geography. She soon realizes that this was a mistake- until the prince befriends her, and when that happens who knows what will happen next...
When I first read the description of this book, I knew I had to read it, and I'm so glad I did. While the book is short, only 230 pages, it is funny and well written and a plot (while starts off realistically, turns into something a girl can only dream of) that is interesting and makes you want more. Valerie is a typical teenage girl, shallow in all the areas she's supposed to be, but intelligent and not as shallow as she makes herself out to be. Her A-list friends Jules, Christie and Natalie are funny and really help Valerie through what's going on, even though they don't know the whole truth behind the divorce... Obviously they are mad at Valerie for leaving, but of course they don't know the true reasoning behind it. As I have said before, I judge a good book by if I don't want it to end, and this was one of them. Luckily, there are sequels, so I will be reading those shortly. I highly reccomend this book, especially for beach reading. That is for those of you lucky to be able to go to a beach and not get frostbite this time of year.

1 comments:

runa said...

Well, that's a great way of judging books if I do say so myself :)